TDA PLC - Social Studies & CA Teachers
- The CA & SS departments began work around TDAs in December, utilizing SAS documents/resources shared at the beginning of the year district PD: http://backtowriting.weebly.com/ + LDC Task Templates to craft TDA Questions.
- This work came from a need to provide more authentic writing experiences for our students and to find ways to guide them through the complex writing process required for real-world writing in various modes.
- Crafted TDAs collaboratively and analyzed each other's work
- Discovered the need for a school-wide acronym and graphic organizer to help students structure their thinking.
- Used the RACES graphic organizer and came back to discuss effectiveness. Made revisions.
- Viewed student work - both responses to teacher-made TDAs and district constructed-responses. Noticed much more structure, focus, and use of transitions in student work. Began to notice less reluctance to writing.
- Plan for future: Share RACES with whole staff to use next year. Continue implementing LDC into CA, Science & Social Studies. Integrate Collins writing into writing PD plan for 2015-16
Lincoln R.A.C.E.S. - Restate. Answer. Cite. Explain. Summarize.